One-Pot Italian Beef & Gnocchi Casserole
Yield 4 Servings
Made with a rich tomato-based sauce, this one-pot beef and gnocchi casserole is the perfect winter main.
Not an original recipe, originally published here. Kids loved it.
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 800g gravy beef, diced into 4cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus extra small sprigs to serve
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 700g bottle tomata passata
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 500g packet of gnocchi
- Heat half of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in 2 batches for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to brown. Add garlic, rosemary and bay leaves. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add wine. Cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Add passata, stock cubes and water. Bring to a simmer. Return beef to pan. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add zucchini. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until zucchini is almost tender. Add gnocchi. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until gnocchi is tender. Serve topped with extra rosemary.